Spouse on Board for Portraits Season? A Gentle Guide To Help Your Other Half Get On Board!

Last week I posted my 'Moms Guide For Prepping The Kiddos For A Photoshoot,' But there is one more family member who sometimes doesn't see eye to eye with your vision! Whether you are gearing up for family portraits with me or with another wonderful photographer, I hope these tips help prep your significant other to have a fun and stress-free time! Maybe you are lucky and have an energetic partner who is equally excited and loves taking pictures. They are probably helping you plan out your wardrobe for the day! But if your better half is anything like mine, they might need a little extra encouragement and guidance in helping them prep for the day! Here are my tips for getting your partner ready and excited for your family session, because my goal is always to have FUN!



Communication is Key:
Make sure you express the importance of capturing your family life in this moment. Say exactly why this is important to you. Let them know the significance for documenting your life professionally. For us, I am always the one behind the camera and finding a group photo of all of us is quite challenging. I make sure I convey how important it is to capture our family's photographic memories to my husband. I want natural, loving photos of all of us, and as much as I can do this myself with a tripod. The connection and love aren't the same. That is my message to him. Maybe those few words can help get your spouse on board.


Book a Natural Lifestyle Session:
If you have never experienced a lifestyle session, it might make all the difference in everyone's demeanor. Lifestyle portraiture is about capturing your family doing exactly what you do at this point in time. It tends to be more relaxed, fun and interactive. There are less awkward moments and expectations to 'smile pretty.'  Life is messy, goofy, silly, and fun, so prepare everyone for that! Make sure your spouse knows they don't have to 'perform' and be perfect. Everyone is beautiful and awesome just the way they are!

Set the Tone:
Sometimes, your spouse is extremely knowledgeable in many fields, and one of those happens to be photography. He has knowledge of how cameras work etc... But, not every photographer is created equal. Show your spouse the style of photographer you have selected and reveal your favorite shots so they know exactly what will happen.  Prepare them for the connections. If your spouse will listen, show them your favorite Pinterest board with the shots and images you are drawn to. The more they know, the more fun everything will be.










Everyone Chill:
Getting everyone ready for the day and making sure you are prepared and out the door on time is stressful! I get stressed out when I have to leave the house and pack everything for everyone, get myself ready, make sure no one is dirty all while keeping the kids in line. I am not a happy camper and that energy radiates all over my face and my house. Sometimes my husband is lighthearted and sheds light on the situation by telling jokes and making us all laugh! But other days, my stressed out energy gets him down and there is no getting anyone in a good mood. If you keep your cool and chill, the family will follow. Do whatever you need to stay calm... (wine or chocolate anybody?! ;)


Incentives are for Everyone! 
Whatever puts a smile on your partners face, have it ready to go before or after the day. If its a cold beer or a long surf. Make sure they can fit that in sometime before or after the scheduled photo-shoot. Incentives aren't just for the kiddos. Everyone needs a treat... even you RAD mama!






I wish you the best of luck friends! Remember the most important thing you can do is make a connection with your loved ones and have FUN! The rest will just unfold naturally.

As always, thank you for stopping by and reading. Sign up here for more helpful tips and tricks here.


Popular Posts