SXSW 2011- The South by Southwest Anxiety Begins

SXSW mania fever begins in T minus 9 days, but people have been preparing for this massive event since April of 2010. South by Southwest is THE biggest interactive/film/music festival to take place in Austin. Locals prepare for this event weeks in advance, and everyone else travels from all over the world to be here. I am I exaggerating? No, not really.  This will be my third year attending SXSX, and each year I've witnessed more and more people flood the streets. One thing to never let you down each year, is the indescribable amount of exhaustion/drunken debauchery that takes over your entire body. With the streets infected by people and energy, its hard not to get in the spirit and celebrate. Everywhere you turn there is a party, band, showcase, film screening, conference, meeting, camera staring at you. Get ready, plan ahead, and make sure to sleep the music buzz away.  It's one of my favorite weeks in this town and I am super excited for the chaos.

This year will be much different for me since I'll be out on assignment photographing the scenes.  I don't expect anything less from this year and I've already started to plot my routes, parking, outfits, shoes, camera gear, and accessories. I am lucky my husband takes care of RSVPs, yet slightly sad I won't get to enjoy the parties this year. (RSVPs are one of the key elements to getting into the free parties.) I'll be riding solo most of the time exploring new corners and events I haven't seen before. I hope I survive. If I don't, at least I'll have thousands of photos to prove I was there!

Now, please excuse me while I take this moment to relive SXSW 2009 and 2010:


2010 SXSW at La Zona Rosa


The Fader Fort was our most visited spot in 2010

Random bar on 6th st. listening to great dj's

 Great day and free booze at Fader Fort.

2009 was more "adventurous" AKA: roaming the streets aimlessly
 '

 We managed to get into a showcase and stay all day!


 In 2009 we saw our favorite band Bedouin Soundclash

Popular Posts